Our policies help us to make sure that the service provided by us is a high quality one and that being a member of our Nursery is an enjoyable and beneficial experience for each child and her/his parents. The staff and management at ST. Michael’s work together to adopt the policies and they all have the opportunity to take part in the annual review of the policies. This review helps us to make sure that the policies are enabling us to provide a quality service for its members and the local community.
A little about our main policies and procedures
- Equality and diversity policy
- This policy shows how we value all children, parents and staff in our Nursery regardless of race, gender, religion or disability. Our nursery is open to all members of the community, and we ensure that the Nursery promotes this in our practice and information provided.
- Special Educational Needs
- The setting welcomes all children provided we are confident that we can offer them the quality care they require. The child’s developmental age is taken into account in order that we can assess the staffing ratios they require. Staff would always work with parents and other agencies if necessary to provide a secure environment catering for developing individual needs.
- Risk assessment policy
- We ensure the Nursery is a safe environment for your child, we risk assess all furniture, rooms and resource to ensure the Nursery is safe for children at all times. We ensure all activities are safe for the children and that the indoor and outdoor environments are checked for risks before opening and closing the Nursery.
- Special medical needs
- We make sure all medicines are kept in a locked cabinet in the office should we have them at Nursery, we only give children PRESCRIBED medicines and parents need to sign a permission slip to allow us to give it to your child. Every dosage is accounted for, dated and signed with a witness on your childs medicine sheet.
- Managing allergies in the nursery
- The Nursery has no nuts or nut food related groups in the Nursery. When serving food we ensure that constant VIGILANCE is portrayed at all times to ensure a child with an allergy does not share another child’s food. There are special dietary lists in all rooms and the kitchen so all staff are aware of children’s particular dietary needs. If you bring in Birthday cake to celebrate you child’s birthday please ensure it is from a shop so we can check the ingredients.
- Behaviour policy
- We believe in promoting positive behaviour at ST. Michael’s we encourage this through using golden rules, special helpers and praise. We ensure our staff role models to the children and value each child as an individual.
- Health and safely policy
- Our nursery cook has a food hygiene certificate and is fully trained in food handling and health and safety. We ensure all rooms are cleaned throughout the day and at the end of the nursery day and children’s toys are cleaned daily, staff wear gloves and aprons to change nappies, we encourage children to wash their hands before eating or being outside. Children with a contagious illness must not return to Nursery any less than 48hours, please see our main policy.
Copies of our policies and procedures are available for you to see in the Nursery.
St. Michael’s Nursery St. Matthew’s Community Centre, St. Mary’s Road, Harlesden, London NW10 4AU (Inc. Baby Unit)St. Michael’s Nursery St. Michael’s Church Hall Knatchbull Road, Stonebridge, London, NW10 8JXSt. Michael’s Nursery Crownhill Road, Harlesden, London NW10 4DR (based @ John Keble School)St. Michael’s Nursery All Souls Church Hall, Station Road, Harlesden, London NW10 4UJ